New Ways to Boost Your Immune System
Getting through cold and flu season unscathed takes more than diligent hand-washing. It takes an ironclad immune system, one that can easily fight off invaders. But how can you get a super-strong immune system?
We all know the typical advice that we should eat healthier, exercise and get eight hours of shut-eye. But what else can we do to boost our immune systems?
Keep reading for the latest and greatest (and super easy!) ways to boost your immune system and stay healthy this season … and all year long.
3 Simple Ways to Boost Your Immune System
1. Focus On Your Gut
Did you know that your gut contains 70 percent of the cells that make up your immune system? That means your gut is a prime influencer of your overall health. Take care of your gut, and it’s a clear path to better physical and emotional health. Here are some of the best ways to take care of your gut:
- Eat fermented foods every day – Fermented foods have active probiotics, live bacteria essential to good gut health. These include items like sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, miso, yogurt and kimchi. If you’re not a huge fan, take a daily probiotic instead. We love the probiotic in VIBE Protein Shakes because it’s proven to have the highest sustainability rate on the market. This is a huge deal because many probiotics don’t survive the journey to the gut, rendering them useless!
- Fill up on fiber – A healthy diet of fruits, veggies, beans and legumes stimulates healthy bacteria in the gut and can prevent certain disease-causing bacteria. Need some grocery store guidance? Check out this high-fiber grocery list.
- Just say no to your sweet tooth – If you can’t resist sweets, you’re putting your gut health at risk, as added sugars and processed foods decrease the number of good bacteria in the gut.
- Cut back on NSAIDs – NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) such as aspirin and ibuprofen are popular drugs used to treat pain and inflammation. However, NSAIDS also damage the lining of the gut, and research shows that long-term use can keep the immune system from functioning at full capacity. Perhaps most concerning, it can raise the risk of heart and kidney failure events.
- Don’t insist on antibiotics – No one likes to suffer through a lengthy cold. Yet many of us are guilty of going to the doctor and insisting on antibiotics. Many doctors aren’t helping the situation either! According to the CDC (page 5 of this 2018 report), U.S. doctors prescribe around 30 percent of antibiotics unnecessarily. The reality is most upper respiratory infections are viral. Because antibiotics only treat bacterial infections, you’ll be putting your gut health out of whack for no reason. In fact, it takes 3–6 months for the health of the gut to fully recover from a single round of antibiotics.
2. Get Your Garlic On
For thousands of years, garlic has been known and loved for its powerful healing properties. It’s an amazing antioxidant that can help fight inflammation, the common cold and yeast infections, and even reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Garlic also works double-time in promoting good gut health. It encourages the growth of gut-friendly bacteria and prevents the formation of disease-promoting bacteria.
Garlic is a mighty antimicrobial agent that kills or slows the growth of bad bacteria or fungi. A study at Washington State University revealed that garlic was 100x more effective at fighting Campylobacter bacterium, one of the most common causes of intestinal illness, versus two popular antibiotics.
Vampires, beware. You’ll want to consume this superfood raw. Don’t worry, though – it’s not as bad as it sounds. Instead of chewing it up and getting that unpleasant burn, you simply swallow it. Just take one whole garlic clove and cut it up into capsule-size pieces. Do not skip this step. If you don’t cut it up, it can get lodged in your esophagus.
Tip: Worried about bad breath when taking garlic? Problem solved with this alcohol-free mouthwash for garlic breath.
3. Take an Immune Support Supplement
In a perfect world, we’d be eating oodles of fruits and veggies every day. But with busy lifestyles, this isn’t always realistic. That’s why taking an immune support supplement is a smart and easy way to get the vital nutrients you need.
Nothing works like Vitality (formerly Life Shotz) to fight free radicals and keep your immune system healthy and strong. Its unique and powerful ingredients include grape seed skin & extract, resveratrol, wild blueberry, cranberry, plus super fruits like acai berry, goji berry, and Saberry … not to mention all the other essential immune-boosting vitamins and minerals like zinc, vitamin D and vitamin C.
What makes Vitality even more special? It works at the cellular level instead of going on a joyride through the system like many other supplements. That means results you can actually see and feel: fewer sick days, glowing skin and hair, faster workout recovery and natural energy.
Try it, love it, and get your immune system running at peak performance.
P.S. Now that you’ve read all about boosting your immune system, how about boosting your energy levels? For some easy tips, check out these 9 natural energy boosters for a healthier life.